New words can be added here
See ‘Add a new word’ in the ‘Adding new data’ menu bar for the link for this page.
When adding a new word consider the following:
- If a word already exists in Gigadictionary it won't get duplicated.
- The added word will be immediately visible to all users.
- Added words will be marked as proposed until approved by one of our modearators.
- For some languages we have yet to identify the existing parts of speech. If you speak a language well, help us come up with satisfactory solutions.
- Some parts of speech are solely at our administrators’ disposal.
Whether or not to add words employed in non-standard language varieties?
NO - if it is a variety spoken by young users only as meanings are not likely to be too fixed in this case. Additionally, such words tend to be ambiguous.
YES - When the word is used by a variety of speakers regardless of their age, for example ‘a fiver’ used by Britons instead of ‘a five pound note’.
YES - if your granny uses the word on an every day basis :).
NO - if your granny speaks a regional language variety (let’s say Manx or full blown Cornish).
Whether or not to add words that seem to be no longer used?
YES - if the word is generally recognised or employed in literature relatively often (e.g. ‘afore’, ‘betwixt’, ‘methinks’)
NO - if the word is hardly ever used, even in literature.
- If a word cannot be googled, it does not need (but still can) to be included in Gigadictionary.
Whether or not to add loan words or borrowings?
YES - If the word behaves like a more or less traditional item within a language and has a spelling typical of that language.
NO - If it is perceived as a foreign word.
In such cases it would be useful to find the word in the language of its origin and add a relevant note to its definition.
If you are not sure whether or not to add a new word – do this. In case there is something wrong, our moderators will definitely notice and correct it.